Monday, July 20, 2009

Bing

Bing: The name of Microsoft's new search engine.

Now, while I love Google, Bing has some things to offer that Google doesn't. Bing has a more user-friendly feel to it. Everytime I visit www.bing.com, it has a very cool feeling to the page. They also change the background image, I believe once every day. They also have little pop-up boxes that you can click on that have little tid-bits of information about the image.

As for searching, when you search for something, you can roll your mouse over the right side of each result to get a small preview of what the site contains. On the left side of the results are related searches that you can click to also view.

I also like how they have their image search set up, it's pretty neat. The images are all displayed in the middle of the window until you click on one. The webpage that the image is on will open within Bing, but the image results from your search will still be displayed on the left side of the screen, so you can look through them if you would like to.

Something amazing that they have done, is their video search. They results display in the same way as images do. However, whenever you scroll your mouse over the video, it plays small portions of the video, so you can check it out without actually going to the page the video is on. Pretty sweet if you ask me.

Bing is also trying to be very useful for shopping, finding businesses, or travel information. It will display product reviews while shopping. When searching for restaurants, if you click on maps, it will show locations of each restaurant, along with an address, a phone number, and a link to click on to get directions. For travel, Microsoft is implementing a tool that will try to predict whether or not fares will go up or down in the near future.

Bing has a lot to offer and I have been quite impressed. I have been trying to use it more often, but when I need to search for something, I very often find myself still going to Google because it has been ingrained in my head for so long. While many people are very familiar with Google or hate change and won't want to check Bing out, I suggest that you take a few minutes to go there and explore. Go ahead, just check it out: Bing!

No comments:

Post a Comment