Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Google Chrome OS

Hey all! Sorry for not making a post in a while. Not too much had been going on and I was being a little lazy.

So, if you haven't heard the news, Google announced today that they are going to release their own Operating System called Chrome OS, threatening the leader in the OS market, Microsoft. They said that it is going to be lightweight, quick to start, and open-source. For those of you who are not that tech savvy, open-source means that it is free and the source code is open to the public.

Google released a web browser in September 2008 called Google Chrome. Chrome ran faster then most browsers and focused on using cloud computing, which is where resources are used through the internet instead of on your computer. Chrome OS is going to use these features extensively. Instead of being focused on using your computer to do everything, it is going to run most applications from the cloud.

This is very eye-catching for me and I definately look forward to it coming out. Google is saying that they are going to release it in the second half of 2010, so we still have a wait. But when it comes out, I'm sure I'm going to try to get a computer to install it on.

However, even though this does look like it is going to be a big leap for Operating Systems, one of my co-workers asked this in his blog: Will it really make that huge of a difference? Especially against Microsoft. While it may be free, so is Linux and it doesn't have that much ground in the OS war. I think that Chrome OS will be a big deal, but mostly for people like me. The Geeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment